Sunday, August 11, 2013

World Weekend: Different but the Same: the point

this photo was taken by Devon Cummings along the Annapurna circuit in 1991. 
i got it here


after elliott was born, i could not believe the amount of love pouring from my heart to surround and protect this perfect little being.  i thought that no one in the world could possibly love their child as much as i loved mine.  (to be honest, i still think that sometimes in my irrational mommy brain)  i mean, i have always loved kids.  i started babysitting when i was 9, and by the time i was in high school i would hold those little sleeping bodies close, and look at myself in the mirror and imagine what it be be like, what it would feel like, to be a mother.  and i loved them so much. and then i had my own, and the whole game changed.  there was just so much more love!  but that's the beautiful thing;  parents love their children.  when i think of all the parents out there, loving their children the way i love mine, i am overwhelmed.  my eyes were opened to a whole new understanding and empathy for those around me, to all those parents just trying to do their best because we all love our children.

i was talking with a friend recently about her job as the principle of a school.  she said that most parents there thought their kids were geniuses.  we laughed about that, but then she said that it was great though, because if you believe your child is smart, you will treat him that way.

if you think your child is wonderful, and amazing, you will treat her that way.  so many little souls going out into the world knowing that they are loved.

and that's just how it should be.

i went through a hard period of my life, right before getting pregnant.  a directionless time.  but after giving birth it hit me;  this is the point, the whole dang point.  life is about new life, and how we choose to treat it; how we choose to be affected by it.  what a sacred path we are given to walk as parents, as stewards of the beginning of life.  whatever happens with the rest of my life, i hope to be a good loving mother, and i think that will be enough.  through that lens, everything will be a little more clear and beautiful.  and to all other parents who have in their own ways loved, and given, and served, and taught, and loved more; thank you.  this is the most important work we can do.    

2 comments:

  1. If only the whole world could love in the self-less glowing way that you do, Liz. You set such a good example for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered that the love I grew into with my babies helped me realize the love of my own mother. When my child became an addict and brought heartbreak, pain, and fear, I discovered that my love for him was not diminished, only strengthened by my heart's yearnings. That helped me realize the love of God.

    ReplyDelete